Wednesday, January 14, 2015

hi

Hi, this is me again!

My post from 2013 jan 2 was really immature, people who think a year is mediocre take things for granted. To live comfortably for a whole year, to be able to be safe, happy and healthy with family and friends is a kind of miracle in itself, and nobody should label a year as shit or mediocre without understanding that mediocrity is only experienced by those who are comparably well-off.

Anyway,

December 31st I was invited to a family friends house. They have a five-story house that offered great views of the harbour fireworks. On that day I also received a call from Jeffrey (mum's colleagues?) to help out on a boat, so from 4pm on that day all the way until midnight and a few hours after, I was floating on a luxury boat on Sydney Harbour.

And right before midnight, I sat on the mini-boat, on a set of stairs. The other boats began slowly shifting their positions in preparation for the fireworks, finalise their position, and bob silently in expectation.  I was very close to the glistening pitch-black water that reflected the neon blue lights that the other boats were emitting, and it was kind of a nice silent, peaceful moment for me.

During that day, I felt a unity of people atop the boats, and a unity of the boats on the harbour as well as the unity of cheers from people ashore that I could hear probably kilometres away after the spectacular firework showcase. And with that weird unfamiliar and wonderful feeling you get floating on a boat at night looking at the brightly lit sky, it all felt so beautiful and lonely and happy and sad and warm at the same time.

Perhaps that is the kind of feeling you get when you try to reflect upon a a whole year that has passed and welcome the next year during the few hours before and after the transition from one year to another.









No comments:

Post a Comment